Fix The Leak FIRST
Before you get started on removing mold and mildew under a sink, you'll need to first find and fix the leak causing the moisture in the cabinet. Under a kitchen sink the source could be anything from a leak in a water or drain pipe to a leaking garbage disposal or dishwasher. It might even be caused by water seeping under the kitchen sink and dripping into the cabinet below.
Mold will only grow where there is moisture, which is why it's so important to take care of the source of the moisture. Moisture can also come from items such as wet or damp rags, so it's important to allow them to dry out before storing them in a cabinet. Once you've taken care of the source of the moisture, you can focus on removing mold and mildew under the sink.
Control Indoor Moisture to Prevent Mold
Control Indoor Moisture to Prevent Mold
The key to stopping mold and mildew is controlling dampness. The worst infestations usually occur in damp crawlspaces, in attics and walls where water has leaked in from the outside, and in basements with poor foundation drainage. Stopping leaks, ensuring good ventilation in attics, keeping crawlspaces dry and routing water away from the foundation are the best defenses.
Make Sure Your Bath Fan Is Big Enough
The next thing to consider for how to prevent mold after water damage is whether your bath fan is big enough. If the fans aren’t clearing out most of the moisture in your bathrooms after five to 10 minutes, your fans may not be moving enough air. Fans are certified by the volume (cfm, or cubic feet per minute) of air exhausted out of the room. To find the recommended fan capacity for your bathroom, multiply the bathroom square footage by 1.1 (assuming an 8-ft. ceiling; for a 9-ft. ceiling, multiply by 1.5). Check the cfm volume of your fan, usually marked on a label under the grille. Replace it with a larger model if it’s too small for the size of your bathroom.
Testing Or Sampling For Mold
Is sampling for mold needed? In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Since no EPA or other federal limits have been set for mold or mold spores, sampling cannot be used to check a building's compliance with federal mold standards. Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated. Sampling for mold should be conducted by professionals who have specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods, and interpreting results. Sample analysis should follow analytical methods recommended by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), or other professional organizations.
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.
Hire a Mold Inspector First
Hire a Mold Inspector First
If you find mold growing on drywall, trim, or unfinished wood surfaces, and especially if the affected area is more than 10 square feet, hire a mold investigator to discover the root and extent of the problem. They’ll also be able to direct you to a reliable mold remediation company. Reputable companies work with third-party inspectors instead of doing the inspection themselves.
But be sure to check credentials when hiring an inspector. The mold industry is largely unregulated, but there are guidelines to help you know when you’re hiring a true professional
Expect to spend $200 to $600 for a site visit from a qualified inspector, which will take 2 to 5 hours. The inspector will take air samples and may open up walls to find mold.
Fire Safety Advice
Top Fire Safety Advice
Did you know that if a fire breaks out in your home, you may only have two minutes to get out? Early warning from a working smoke alarm combined with a fire escape plan that has been exercised on a regular basis can save lives in the event of a fire. Find out what else you can do to protect your loved ones!
Install smoke alarms on each level of your home, as well as inside bedrooms and sleeping places outside.
Smoke alarms should be tested once a month. Replace the batteries if they don't work.
Discuss a fire escape plan with your entire family and practice it twice a year.
GET OUT, STAY OUT, and CALL FOR HELP if you have a fire in your home.
The “home ignition zone” encompasses the house itself and everything up to 100 to 200 feet around it. Radiant heat from a severe wildfire can ignite a house from up to 100 feet away, and if there’s enough combustible material in the way, the flames themselves can quickly travel that distance. So if you happen to live in a wildfire-prone area, safeguarding just your home and the five feet surrounding it leaves significant risk on the table.
The area between 30 and 100 feet of a home is a property’s front-line defense against a wildfire. The principle guiding your preparation in this zone should be to create a “defensible space” that can prevent flames from approaching your home, and give firefighters a safe place to combat the blaze. Cal Fire and NFPA have great resources that outline the creation of a defensible space. For instance, once you remove fuel sources from the area immediately surrounding the house, the area between 30 and 100 feet out should be maintained as a “reduced fuel zone.” In this zone, plants should be spaced out, low-hanging tree branches should be pruned, and all vegetation should be watered regularly.
Steinberg notes that some homeowners go overboard when creating a defensible space by clearing the area surrounding their home of all vegetation. It seems counterintuitive, but well-spaced plant life can actually block wind-blown embers from reaching your home. A defensible space completely devoid of vegetation creates a “bowling alley” for embers.
Proof your roof
Proof your roof
Embers from nearby wildfires often land on roofs, where they can ignite a blaze that quickly envelops the whole home. "A flammable roof will make the difference of your house being destroyed and not being destroyed, regardless of what else you do," says fire scientist Jack Cohen. The best possible protection in this case? A roof constructed from nonflammable materials like asphalt shingles, metal, slate, or tile. While wood shingles are the most common flammable roof covering material, homeowners who don’t want the hassle of reroofing can treat their wooden roofs with fire retardant, or install a rooftop sprinkler system. However, experts warn that such solutions may be inadequate—so you might want to consider changing materials altogether. “A nonflammable roof is easy to achieve,” says Steinberg. “If you get a typical asphalt shingle roof with a good installation, you really don’t have to worry too much.”
Also note that leaves and pine needles that collect in gutters make for a dangerous ember landing bed. Make sure to clean your roof’s gutters regularly.
Read Your Policy
Smoke & Fire Damage and Homeowners Insurance
Homeowners insurance policies typically provide comprehensive cover for fire damage and water damage, e.g. used to extinguish the fire. But what if it’s not safe to stay in your home while your claim is being processed?
Most homeowners insurance policies provide Additional Living Expense (ALE) coverage. It pays for things like a hotel room, restaurant bills, groceries, animal boarding, and other expenses you have to incur, in addition to your regular expenses, because of the damage caused by a covered event.
Make sure to read your homeowners insurance policy, or call your insurance company for more details on what you’re allowed and not allowed to claim for.
Rainwater Damage Is Not Good
Rainwater is the most common source of bulk water.
Rainwater damage is the most prevalent and destructive sort of water damage, and it can come from a variety of sources:
Seepage of water through basement walls.
Water seeps through cracks in the walls, particularly around doors and windows.
Roof leaks are most commonly caused by penetrations and improper flashing.
Plumbing leaks are an oddity, but they are important.
If you or someone you know have had a rainwater damage call SERVPRO of West Fort Bend County today at 281-342-5326.
Absorb The Water with Mops,Towels, anything You Can Find
Remove any objects that have been soaked in water from the floor.
Water-soaked rugs and furniture will continue to absorb moisture into the wood. Wet furniture can also lead to the formation of mildew and mold, which can penetrate the pores and seams of your flooring. Remove all wet items from the room and place them somewhere where they can dry quickly without causing damage to the floor.
Attempt to absorb as much water as possible.
Small puddles and spills can be quickly absorbed using towels, mops, and clean rags. To remove larger water sources from the flooring, use a wet vacuum. Even if the water on the wood's surface is no longer visible, keep using the wet vacuum.